The goal of the project is to develop an artificial pancreatic islet based on the reaggregation of the dissociated pancreatic endocrine cells, mainly alpha- and beta-cells, into functional tissue via microencapsulation. The planned research tasks include:
(i) use microfluidics to encapsulate living cells (from murine cell-lines) inside sub-millimeter hydrogel microcapsules, so-called ‘microbeads’, mimicking the actual cellular microenvironment and supporting cell growth, interaction, and metabolism; this task will involve a range of technological developments including the design of the microfluidic chip adjusted to hydrogel viscosity, cell concentration, and the cross-linking protocol,
(ii) culture such generated artificial islets in physiological conditions,
(iii) monitor cell viability and functionality, in particular insulin secretion,
(iv) optimize a range of physicochemical conditions for enhanced cell growth and function by using microfluidics (type of hydrogel, bead size, compartmentalization, culture protocols, etc.).
Key responsibilities include:
- Designing and fabricating a microfluidic device for encapsulation of beta cells.
- Data analysis, writing reports, and scientific publications.
- Cooperation with researchers, including communication with English-speaking colleagues.
- Number of vacancies: 1
- Job type: Full-time employment Type of contract: Temporary Hours Per Week: 40
- Salary: gross salary (total employment cost) of 10 000 PLN per month
- Position starts on: 01.01.2022
- Maximum planned period of contract/stipend agreement: 12-month full-time work contract (with the possibility of extension)
- 12-month full-time work contract (with the possibility of extension)
- Work in the outstanding scientific institution in the dynamic research group – see details on the website: https://sgmte.pl/
- Engagement into an ambitious research program and possibility to build the academic career
Biology, bioengineering, engineering, and chemistry or related fields
Scientific profile of a candidate
Recognized Researcher (R2)
Scientific profile of a candidate:
- Ph.D. degree in biology, bioengineering, chemistry, or related fields obtained not earlier than 7 years before the engagement in the project (this period might be longer due to family reasons according to NCN rules).
- Experience in 3D cell culture
- Experience in microfluidics will be an asset
- Proficiency in spoken and written English
Key assessment criteria:
The Commission will take into account the following criteria:
- Competence for specific tasks in a research project
- Previous scientific achievements (publication record, H-index, etc.)
- Candidate’s own initiative in research projects
- Scientific curriculum vitae, including a list of scientific achievements (scholarships, publications, patents, conference presentations, etc.).
- Motivation letter
- Recommendation letter
- Citation report (e.g. from Web of Science) including the number of publications, number of citations (without self-citation) and H-index of the candidate.
- a scan of the Ph.D. diploma
- a scan of the M.Sc. diploma
Employment will take place in accordance with the employment policy of the Institute of Physical Chemistry of the Polish Academy of Sciences (https://ichf.edu.pl/files/csr/ipc-procedures.pdf) and the provisions of the competition documentation of the National Science Center (NSC). The Commission will analyze the CVs of the candidates. The top candidates will be invited for an online or in-person interview (between 15-16.11.2021). Good command of English is required. We reserve the right to contact and reply only to selected candidates
• The incomplete applications will be not considered.
• The results of the competition are made public.
• Candidates who have been issued a negative opinion by the Competition Committee or candidates not selected for employment have the right to appeal against the results of the evaluation. The appeal shall be lodged with the Director of the Institute within 7 days from the date of receipt of the appropriate information. The decision of the Director of the Institute shall be final.
• If the top candidate does not sign the contract, due to the resignation, we reserve the right to choose the second-best candidate.
HOW TO APPLY
Send application directly to email@example.com
- IMPORTANT! Email subject: “Recruitment no. 63/2021”
- Application deadline: 30.11.2021 (23:00 CET)
- Deadline for the settlement of the competition:13.12.2021
- Link to Euraxess website: https://www.euraxess.pl/jobs/702637
- IChF PAN Website offer: https://ichf.edu.pl/en/job/63-2021-artificial-pancreatic-islets-microfluidics-assisted-reaggregation-of-endocrine-cells-inside-hydrogel-microcapsules-opus